A priming tool is vital as it helps you to place a brand-new cartridge back into the end of a brass. For most cartridges used before, you will see dents at the bottom of the primers. These dents give you an indication of them being worn out; thus, you require an appropriate tool to install the new one to ensure it ignites well.
Unfortunately, there are numerous kinds of these priming tools with different designs, making it hard for users to find the right equipment. In this article, we have identified the 5 best hand priming tools that give you excellent performance. Besides, our buying guide will help you make better selections.
5 Best Hand Priming Tool
With the following reviews, we have highlighted the best hand priming tools available in the Amazon.
Let’s do quick view if you’re in a hurry and you can also find the deep review for every Hand Priming Tool by scrolling down.
- RCBS 90200 – Great Quality Hand Priming Tool
- RCBS 90201 – Universal Hand Priming Tool
- LEE PRECISION 90700 – Auto Bench Priming Tool
- Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series – Perfect Seat Hand Primer Seating Tool for Reloading
- Frankford 909283 Arsenal Platinum – Hand Deprimer Tool for Reloading
1. RCBS 90200 – Great Quality Hand Priming Tool
RCBS has, for a long time, maintained the record of being a leading US manufacturer of precision reloading equipment. This leaves us with no doubt it appearing on our list of best hand priming tools. It comes as a prototype of the RCBS 90201 hand priming tool. Its case has a hand priming tool designed to help save your precious time.
RCBS Hand Priming tool has a safety mechanism that helps in the separation of seating from primer source. This practically aids to exclude the likelihood of tray explosion. Interestingly, both the lesser and significant primers are incorporated to suit various uses. Its tray can perfectly hold up to a hundred primers and eliminates the interruption of the refilling tool.
Its ergonomic body design fits comfortably in your hand, allowing for a comfortable and portable primer seating. You will enjoy a durable performance as its plastic cover of the tray is designed from excellent quality material as well as its high-density steel handle provides additional strength and durability. Besides, it uses the RCBS shell holders and the plate to allow the primers to sit in the right way.
- The patented safety gate helps to isolate the primers in the tray from the ones in the seat while preventing denotation from occurring
- Fast and secured reloading process since it restricts primer sliding into the seat or tray detonation
- Built to last thanks to the high quality plastic tray lid plus heavy-duty steel handle
- It effortlessly takes the primer off in case you suddenly want to snug in some primers that were not seated perfectly
- Needs RCBS brand shell holders only
- The process may be complicating while switching the premier size.
2. RCBS 90201 – Universal Hand Priming Tool
This hand priming tool from RCBS comes next as one of the most re-known and best tools among many users on the market. Its versatile design allows you to use any calibre shell holder, making it incredibly convenient. It beautifully integrates all sorts from the initial RCBS’ priming devices into a single appropriate set. This fantastic priming tool is packed with an ergonomic body design, tray, as well as white and black shell holders.
Its white shell holder is compatible with small primers whereas the black shell holder is designed to suit the black primers. If you intend to save a significant amount of money, the RCBS Universal Hand Primer should be your thing. It is built to last longer thanks to the tray’s plastic lid made of high-quality material plus a heavy-duty handle.
With this handy priming tool, you can quickly and securely use it without worrying about multiple primers slipping into the seat or detonation of the tray. It uniquely has a different way of switching from big to small primers effortlessly. The RCBS Universal Hand Primer Tool fits primer cases ranging from .32 ACP up to .45-70.
- It’s universally adaptable allowing you to use any type of shell
- Requires no shell holders
- Virtually eliminates the chances of tray detonation occurrence
- The removable primer tray suits any primer packaging
- Incredibly durable with its handle designed with heavy-duty steel
- It has a less ergonomic design making it hard to use by new users
- Relatively costly as compared to other products in the same category
3. LEE PRECISION 90700 – Auto Bench Priming Tool
Are you looking for the best bench mount hand primer? If yes, Lee Precision is designed for you. This is a kind of tool that is easy to prim a few shells as it requires little effort and no expertise. It comes as one of the most ergonomic tools, allowing easy use, whether for the left or right-hand priming action.
Its contented lever has an appropriate amount of machine-driven advantage to comfortably seat on most tough primers on a press of a figure. This tool comprises priming assemblies for large and small primers plus the primer size, or the shell holder can be changed easily in no time. Its tray has an in-built primer flicking feature to permit direct reloading from even larger boxes.
Mounting holes are well-spaced to fit Lee’s plate system that comes separately. Also, you can mount it straight onto the bench. This hand priming tool from Lee can comfortably seat thousands of primer brands with no fatigue thanks to the triangular tray. The best part is that it is entirely portable and a delightful tool to use.
- The ergonomic body design allows easy and flexible to use while reloading
- Plastic parts for easy following of the reloading process
- Shell holders have not been included hence affordable Primes comfortably numerous shells
- Designed with steel and polyester material for durability
- Requires bench mounting to be used
- Compatible with shell holders only from Lee
4. Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series – Perfect Seat Hand Primer Seating Tool for Reloading
The Frankford Arsenal Hand Primer Tool is a fantastic tool that allows you to effortlessly seat primers from any place thanks to its portable design. The dial helps to set the seating depth to ensure the primer never sits deeper than what you desire. With the twelve shell holders, this hand priming tool will accommodate 652 different calibers, including the rifle or pistol brass.
It features a self-righting primer tray that holds 100 small or large primers comfortably for versatility. The high-density injection molded storage case allows for regular use. Plus, its case comprises three new posts that let you store custom or rare collects in the same place. This hand priming tool has easily detachable parts that help you to make your reloading task effortless.
The full length ergonomically designed handle grip allows easy usage and also makes it robust and durable. Additionally, it is built using high-density die-cast zinc materials with interior steel-made components for reliability. This hand priming tool has new innovative features that include an adjustable seating system that helps to prevent crushing the primers while in the case.
- Versatile design allows it to work with primers of varied calibers
- Highly portable and convenient to use from anywhere at any time
- Full-length ergonomic design allows effortless to use
- Built to last thanks heavy-duty die-cast zinc with internal steel parts
- Functions with boxer primers only
- Costly than most hand priming tools
5. Frankford 909283 Arsenal Platinum – Hand Deprimer Tool for Reloading
Break out of the confines of the reloading room and take your depriming anywhere the business takes you using this new deprimer tool from Frankford Arsenal. The ergonomic hand-operated and portable design allows you to effortlessly and quickly deprime your brass from anywhere regardless of what time it is.
Its transparent collection tube catches old primers and ensures easy monitoring of the fullness level. An auto-eject case holder is included to allow easy removal of deprimed cases from both the rifle, pistol, and crimped brass, making it a versatile tool. This Hand Deprimer Tool is constructed from robust die-cast aluminium that makes it lighter for easy use as well as durability.
Plus, its full length ergonomically designed grip gives additional durability to this tool. The patented universal collect system in this deprimer tool allows for a safe and quick reloading process. Reloading of primer has never been this easy thanks to the easy to remove parts of this tool.
- Versatile design allows smooth operation with the rifle, pistol or any other military crimped primers
- Portable and convenient makes it easy to deprime from anywhere
- Full-length ergonomic grip design ensures easy usage as well as durability
- Spring-loaded handle that automatically returns the collect deprimer to the beginning position
- Efficiently removable spent primer catch tube provides convenient collecting and emptying primers
- Operational with only boxer primers
How to Make the Right Choice
Are you looking for the best hand priming tool, but you don’t know where to start because of the many confusing brands on the market? Worry no more because this buying guide will educate and help you understand the basic tricks you can use to make your selections.
The type of material used to construct a hand priming tool should be the first thing to look for. It determines how easy it will be to handle and use. Plus, it will tell you how long the tool will last, giving you the best performance. If you want a tool that can give you up to thousands priming, you should invest in those which are made of heavy-duty steel material. Your featured device should also be able to provide you with reliable performance while maintaining its quality.
A shell holder is yet another item you need to check out in a handle priming tool. You need to identify whether the type of shell holder that the priming tool will work with. Also, check the number of shell holders that come with your featured tool. If the brass is provided, determine if it will work with the shell holder.
As you push primers inside brass, safety use should be your priority. This tool imitates the operation of a gun, and it can explode in your hands, causing severe injuries. Empty brass can be less dangerous to use. But if you are dealing with up to a hundred primes on a tray, you may consider having a hand priming tool with a separator system for safety use.
Hand priming tools come with different prices depending on the quality of the material and manufacturer’s preferences. If your budget is limited, it is advisable to make comparisons between different brands with exceptional quality. Besides, you should understand that high prices do not always mean a high-quality product or the other way round. Therefore, choose the brand that suits your budget requirements.
Method of priming
Priming can be done in two ways, including hand priming and use of a bench primer that requires installation on a bench. While shopping for a priming tool, you should be aware of the pros and cons associated with the two methods. After that, you can choose the best way that will work best with you.
Can I use any shell holder on my hand priming tool?
Unfortunately, not all of the shell holders will fit in a hand priming tool. It depends on the brand of your hand priming tool. There are hand primers that operate perfectly with a particular brand of shell holder. Others can never be compatible.
How can I operate my hand priming tool?
Determine the type of primer tool you are using, whether big or small. Use your hand to hold the shell and swiftly wiggle it back and forth over the priming shaft to install the dents. An appropriate tray, whether for small or big primers, ensures they sit well for easy reloading.
Fit in the primers into the bottom of a brass. Press gently the handle of the priming tool to reload the brass primers. If you wish to switch the primer size, press the switch button.
What benefits can I get by owning a hand priming tool?
A hand priming tool helps you to get a new primer into the bottom of brass in a much effortless and safer way, thus saving time during reloading. This priming tool facilitates re-using of initially used cartridges or brass.
What should I do to ensure none of the primers gets crushed?
It is a great idea to choose a primer precisely constructed to withstand any pressure that could result in crushing. Also, always press the priming tool’s handle gently to avoid putting much pressure on the primers, which may result in breaking.
Which one is the best between a bench and a hand priming tool?
Well, declaring the winner here is quite a hard task. But, it will depend on your preferences for factors like portability and durability. In this case, a hand priming tool will be the best option for individuals who wish to use their tools from anywhere they are. Bench priming tool is best for those looking for a device with more exceptional durability.
It takes an appropriate hand priming tool to get the reloading process conveniently and correctly done while saving your money and precious time. All the products listed boast excellent and efficient performance as well as exceptional standards. Besides, they are worth your money. Go ahead and select the best one from our list of the best hand priming tools above and let our buying guide help you if you face difficulties in making selections.